Thursday, July 11, 2013

The End of Molasses Classes

I got my new Ron Clark book The End of Molasses Classes in the mail yesterday and I started reading it last night.  I love reading his books. And I so would love to visit his school The Ron Clark Academy in Georgia.  While I was reading I couldn't stop underlining quotes that I wanted to remember or to share with my friends.

On  section #2 called "Not every child deserves a cookie" I wanted to share the part where he stated" There is a misconception in our country that teachers whose students make good grades are providing them with a good education.  Parents, administrators, and the general community shouldn't assume good grades equal high academic mastery."  This is so true.  I have a friend and fellow teacher who taught third grade where she had to deal with this daily.  Parents complained daily that the work was too hard for their child or "why did my child get a bad grade when they made all As last year?" 

We need to stop spoon feeding our children.  This section in his book talks about just that. I agree with him stating "that society isn't going to make excuses for their home situations, and we can't either.  If we make excuses and allowances, it will sent the child the message that it's okay to make excuses for his or her performance based on circumstances, too.  We just can't do it.  We must hold every child accountable for high standard and do all we can to push the child to that level."  And this is what my friend does daily with her students and I do as well.  We can't baby these children cause of their home lives.  We need to make sure we are pulling the best out of each student.  I have high expectations for my Pre-k students and my friend has the same high expectations of her students.  It is really hard at times when the parents hold their child back by basically letting their child float through life without learning how to be the best or to solve things on their own. 

I am looking forward to learning more about him and his school through this book and hopefully grow more myself as the great teacher I want to be and not have that Molasses Class.



No comments:

Post a Comment