Monday, July 8, 2013

Let's Get Acquainted Linky Party!!!

Flying into First Grade is hosting a "getting to Know your fellow bloggers" linky party.  I have been blogging about my classroom and students for a couple of years and thought this would be great for me to connect with my fellow teachers and them connect with me.  I love getting new ideas from other teachers and trying them out in my classroom.


Topic- Tic Tac Toe
How it Works:  Look at the graphic below.  It is a Tic Tac Toe board filled with different categories.  You will post about three of these categories but they have to make Tic Tac Toe.  For example, you can choose to write about 3 topics that go vertical, or 3 topics that go horizontal, or three topics that go diagonal. 


I am choosing to do the first left vertical  line to introduce myself, so here goes.


                                             I went to ____ College and favorite Memory
I went to college at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Oklahoma.  I graduated in 2000 with a BS in Elementary education with the hopes to teach fourth grade.  My favorite memory was my graduation.  I was the first one in my family to graduate from college.  I was excited and proud.  I also was glad my boys were there to see me graduate as well.  I wanted them to know no matter what obstacles life puts in your way that you can do it with hard work and dedication.
                                                         
                                                             My first year of teaching
My first year of teaching was the fall of 2000.  My oldest son was in Cookson Hills Headstart and the co-teacher mentioned to me that they needed a teacher in his class and that I should apply.  So I did and got the job the next day.  So that is how I got my start with teaching Pre-K.  They sent me back to school to take 2 classes to get my Early Childhood degree and to take the certification test in Early Childhood.  I was excited about my first job but wasn't prepared like I thought I was.  I had a co-teacher, a one-on-one aide, and a helper in the afternoon.  I had 20 students.  Headstarts have A LOT and I MEAN A LOT of paperwork.  So I had to do lessons on top of daily logs, weekly reports and monthly reports on each student.  I am really glad I got my teaching start here, it has made me the teacher I am today where I teach the whole child as well as the parents. 13 years later I still love what I do.

                                                       My favorite grade to teach and why 

I have taught a year of kindergarten but my favorite grade to teach is Pre-K.  I love teaching this grade because the children come to me like a clean slate.  I am their first teacher, besides their parents, and I get to build a foundation for them to become successful students.  I love seeing them discover new things for the first time.  For 9 months, these children are my babies and I get to help grow them, mold them, and shape them into future leaders of America.  I also get to build relationships with the families that carry on to future siblings.  I get to help these parents learn to become their child's voice in their education.  My most proudest but saddest day is when I have to hand them back over to their parents at the end of the school year.  But since I have built a loving caring environment in my classroom those students still come to me as well as their parents for help or the best of all the hugs.  Every single year, I get to see my students extend their love and innocence to my peers or older students with a daily hug.  Those hugs are why I teach cause I feel I have touched a life FOREVER!!!!


 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. Beavers! We just found you through Fifth in the Middle's states link. We teach 1-2 multi-agers in Tulsa. We want to set up an Okie Blogger Lunch in August. A date hasn't been decided yet...we will let you know! We would love for you to hop over and visit us at 2super-teachers.blogspot.com

    TTFN~
    Victoria & Tricia♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria and Tricia for stopping by and I did check your page out. That sounds great I have another friend who just talked about doing that so we can connect with others. Let me know I would love to meet up and by the way I teach at TPS as well as you.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete