Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 2....Trip of a life time

Day 2 started early.  The group was broken into two groups that would arrive at different times and then rotate through a schedule.  We were greeted by ALL of the students and staff of RCA.  Students took our hands and brought us into the main hall of the school (Where the famous slide is).  Music was playing and students were dancing, singing, and playing instruments. Ron broke my group into smaller groups.  We were taken to the room where we would start our day "Wonderland" was my room.  Breakfast was waiting for us and students sat with us.  They engaged us into conversations about ourselves and themselves as we ate with them.







Then our group was taken to the gym to see the students perform in their musical.  These students wrote, directed, and choreographed the show.  The did it 3 days.  The musically was skits of different shows but with the RCA twist.











The day continued with visiting each teacher's classroom.  We got to see the teachers in action and in their elements.  I loved how the Blues can be used in the classroom to creating the right learning environment for learning. Lunch with also with students greeting us and having conversations that were thought provoking.  The one young man I was talking with was an 8th grader and would be attending a boarding school in Tennessee soon.  What an opportunity for him.  My mom hat came on and I was wondering how his mom felt about him going to a school so far away from home.  He just explained about the opportunity she wanted him to have.  And that is right.  I give that as well to my sons even though I may not want them to be away from me.  My last stop of the afternoon was Ron's classroom.  My dream was coming true....getting to see him teach.  His students were amazing.  I was blown away by how they respected each other, how they questioned and answered questions. And even getting to see one student teach to the others.  One of the best ways for students to remember and learn is to teach it themselves.  I wanted it to last!!



 Then the time CAME to become Slide certified!!!!!.  Each one of us left his classroom to the slide.  Music can be heard coming up the stairs to us.  Each one of us took our turns down the slide.  That slide is there to represent "taking the path less traveled and not following others"  and it also to me changed me forever.  I will have that memory forever and remember to be the very best teacher I can be for my students.






The evening events were about to start.  The tacky Prom.  When I arrived back at the hotel I had a very nice meal at one of the hotel's restaurants.  Then got ready. This butterfly was ready.









I danced and made new friends that night.  I went out of my comfort zone too lol.  As I laid my head down to sleep, I still couldn't turn off my thoughts of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment