Sunday, May 26, 2013

New Beginnings

I haven't had to chance to blog much from the last school year (12-13).  This past year had many changes and challenges.  The first change was a new principal.  When I first heard my old principal was retiring I was really scared and worried about the up coming year.  My thoughts went from "OGM" to "Will I do ok?" "Will they be early childhood friendly?" "Will I work well with them?"  My new principal was coming from high school down to elementary and that alone scared me.  Most people don't view early childhood as the foundation for a child's educational start and success. As the year went on I found out she did very much feel early childhood especially pre-k was the foundation to a child's success.  Through out the year I was challenged by her and by my students.  I had a very active group of students.  It was frustrating at times to deal with over 14 boys and 5 girls.  Yes, I said 14 boys.  I had to challenge myself to find ways to connect to them, to keep them engaged, to keep my sanity, and to keep my students safe.  I felt my new principal placed a lot of responsibilities on me from being in charge of our PBIS team to taking on my roles in my school.  This has got me thinking about my future in education.  I feel I am a great leader for both students and my peers.  This got me thinking "Can I take on the role of principal myself?" I feel I a leaning towards that one day but as of now I just can't pull myself out of the classroom but I am wanting to go back to school and finish( but basically have to start over) my masters degree.

Summer has just started and changes are happening already at my school.  Many of my friends and peers are moving on to better themselves.  We had two great teachers retire.  One from 35 years of service and the other 15 years.  I will be coming on my 13th year in teaching this fall and I hope to be as great as these two ladies and to be in teaching as long as 35 years.  We have many TFA teachers have finished up their 2 year contracts and are moving back to their home states to start another career or to continue teaching.  So as you can see we will be having spaces needing to be filled and others will be moved around for the better of our school.

No comments:

Post a Comment